Well, I'm late in posting, but I did do a charity for June. I donated to our local VFW. They were outside the grocery store selling poppies to wear on your shirt. As I walked up I saw the most beautifully sweet little old man selling them. I donated my money and he gently and sweetly gave each of my kids their own little poppy. He was so sweet with them. I thanked him for his service and for his example. He got a little teary as I said that, He said it's nice to know that people still remember the sacrifices they made. I do think that "The greatest generation" is actually the greatest generation. It's sad to me that so many years are passing and soon they will be all gone. I wish I knew who this little man was. I taught my kids about veterans and to be thankful for our freedom. Kaylee was the only one who really understood. Jack was a little distracted by his Nintendo DS, and Olly was eating his poppy. But, I think that each year on memorial day I will take my kids to make a donation to the VFW. It's hard to teach kids gratitude. They don't really understand that nothing is free and that we all have to work and sacrifice to have the things we need and want. Hopefully as they get older and if we continue with the tradition, they will understand more completely.
Saturday, June 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment