Jack has a blanket that he's had since he was a baby. He LOVES this blanket. It started out being called his "circle blankie". This was when he was first starting to talk and that's what he'd ask for because it has little soccerballs and basketballs on it and to him those were circles. Now, he calls this blankie "Bob" and he doesn't say "hand me it". He will say "hand me him". His Bob is his friend and friends aren't "it". This friend started out as a gift from Grandma Gloria when he was born. It was the one I always put with him when it was bedtime and he's been attached to it ever since. It is blue on one side, and the other side used to be red with various sports balls on it. After a while the red side began to shred and fall apart, so we took him to the fabric store to pick some new backing to put on that side. He ended up picking out a white fabric with colorful cats and dogs on it. It didn't match at all, but to him it was perfect. We took the fabric home and Grandma Teresa sewed it on so he could have "Bob" a little longer. Now, the original blue side is starting to shred and fall apart. The batting is coming out. Bob is getting older every day. Each time I wash him I think it might be his last time. But, he comes out shredded and sad, but still Bob. Bob's a fighter. Kaylee nor Olly have been attached to blankies, just my Jackie. There's something special about that little boy and his "Bob". So, here's to Bob and Jack; May they have a long and glorious friendship
Above is Bob before he had his backing changed
Here is Bob now... he's hanging on
5 comments:
ha...my youngest brother was about four and had a blanket like this. My mom found material that looked almost exactly the same and made him a new one. It is so funny how they get so attached to things.
That is so cute! None of my kids had a blanket or stuffed animal or anything. I love how beat up it is!
I had a blanket like that. It is the blanket that I took with me from dad's house when my parents got divorced. It looked just like Bob and I ended up having mom use it as the batting for another blanket so I could still have it with me! Kind of nerdy. But it has huge sentimental value to me. Maybe he'll let you do the same thing?
I think thats great! Chase was attached to a blankie too and my mom had to re-sew it a couple times. It looks well loved! I also still have shreds from my baby blanket. Can't seem to part, still!
ok, I don't sleep with the shreds... just thought I'd clarify! they're in a box somewhere, ha ha!
Post a Comment