Wednesday, July 16, 2008

5 Reasons Why I'm Voting for Barack Obama




First and foremost, I would like you all to check out this page debunking some of the most common smears against senator Obama. I think it would do us all well to first research what we hear and read before we take it as truth. http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/fightthesmearshome/

These are (some of) the reasons I'm voting for Obama. I will leave it up to you to go to http://www.barackobama.com to do your own research into each of his plans and decide for yourselves. Be an informed voter.

1. I Like his Stance on Families: “"...at the dawn of the 21st century we also have a collective responsibility to recommit ourselves to the dream; to strengthen that safety net, put the rungs back on that ladder to the middle-class, and give every family the chance that so many of our parents and grandparents had. This responsibility is one that's been missing from Washington for far too long -- a responsibility I intend to take very seriously as President."”

— Barack Obama, Spartanburg, SC, June 15, 2007

2. His Plan for Healthcare: “We now face an opportunity — and an obligation — to turn the page on the failed politics of yesterday's health care debates… My plan begins by covering every American. If you already have health insurance, the only thing that will change for you under this plan is the amount of money you will spend on premiums. That will be less. If you are one of the 45 million Americans who don't have health insurance, you will have it after this plan becomes law. No one will be turned away because of a preexisting condition or illness.”

— Barack Obama, Speech in Iowa City, IA, May 29, 2007

3. Finally Ending the War: “Here is the truth: fighting a war without end will not force the Iraqis to take responsibility for their own future. And fighting in a war without end will not make the American people safer.

So when I am Commander-in-Chief, I will set a new goal on day one: I will end this war. Not because politics compels it. Not because our troops cannot bear the burden- as heavy as it is. But because it is the right thing to do for our national security, and it will ultimately make us safer.”

—Barack Obama, Clinton, Fayetteville, North Carolina, March 19, 2008

4. Enjoying Clean Future: “Well, I don't believe that climate change is just an issue that's convenient to bring up during a campaign. I believe it's one of the greatest moral challenges of our generation. That's why I've fought successfully in the Senate to increase our investment in renewable fuels. That's why I reached across the aisle to come up with a plan to raise our fuel standards… And I didn't just give a speech about it in front of some environmental audience in California. I went to Detroit, I stood in front of a group of automakers, and I told them that when I am president, there will be no more excuses — we will help them retool their factories, but they will have to make cars that use less oil.”

— Barack Obama, Speech in Des Moines, IA, October 14, 2007

5. He Cares About Our Children:
There are nearly three million annual reports of child abuse and neglect.
The tragedy of child abuse claims thousands of innocent lives each year, while ruining millions more.Obama is committed to preventing child abuse and
supports proven and effective means to combat the tragedy of child abuse. Strengthen Fatherhood and Families: Since 1960, the number of American children without fathers in their lives has quadrupled, from 6 million to more than 24 million. Children without fathers in their lives are five times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime, nine times more likely to drop out of school, and 20 times more likely to end up in prison. Obama has re-introduced the Responsible Fatherhood and Healthy Families Act to remove some of the government penalties on married families, crack down on men avoiding child support payments, ensure that support payments go to families instead of state bureaucracies, fund support services for fathers and their families, and support domestic violence prevention efforts. As president, Obama will sign this bill into law and continue to implement innovative measures to strengthen families.

0 comments: