Sunday, May 3, 2009

Vole Wars 2009!!


I have recently been introduced to the furry underbelly of my yard --- voles. They are similar to moles because they burrow underground, but are not as large. They are more like a big mouse with a short tail. But don't let their size fool you, they are DESTROYING my newly purchased sod! We put it in last fall and have yet to enjoy it for a full summer. So, being higher on the food chain and (hopefully) on the intellectual scale, I should have no problem getting rid of these "critters". So far 2 have died from the rat poison I put out, and 2 have been caught in mouse traps.... Since then, however, there has been a mysterious avoidance of the poison, I think they may have caught on. Also, the voles aren't attracted to any bait on the traps, so the only way they get caught is if one just happens to walk across it. So I did a little online research and found a man who must be some sort of vole-catching GENIUS and he has the best way I've ever seen to catch voles, so this week I'm gonna try his approach. Here's a link to the video incase anyone else has had the good fortune to meet these little creatures: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9cFspBjb-U&feature=related

Look at these pictures of the crazy trails they make all over my lawn! Plus, there are holes EVERYWHERE! I'm determined to win. This means war voles! You hear me?! It's on like donkey kong! Tell your friends, they come to me, they come to their death! Yeah!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH! I would be SO mad! Good luck killing them all. A fun way is to let your kids stick a hose in the ground and drown them :) I loved doing that growing up with mice on our lawn! The beauty of living in Wyoming :)

Mandi Moon said...

I'd be pissed! I hope you kick their ass.

Marcy said...

Doesn't that make ya mad!